Search

    Select Website Language

    GistReel

    Democratic Republic of the Congo have reportedly refused to comply with a United States demand requiring the team to enter a 21-day isolation period before travelling for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

    The directive comes amid concerns over an Ebola outbreak in the country, with US authorities warning that failure to follow strict health measures could prevent the Congolese delegation from entering the country.

    Despite the warning, officials from DR Congo insist their World Cup preparations will continue as planned.

    US issues strict “bubble” warning

    Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed that the squad had been instructed to maintain a controlled “bubble” for three weeks before arrival in the United States.

    DR Congo reject US isolation warning ahead of 2026 World Cup
    DR Congo team reject US isolation warning – Getty image

    “We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN.

    “We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”

    The warning follows an outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in DR Congo, which has prompted heightened international concern.

    Friendlies to continue despite threat

    Despite the American stance, the Congolese federation has no intention of changing its pre-tournament schedule.

    The team is still expected to face Denmark in Belgium on June 3 before travelling to Spain for a friendly against Chile on June 9.

    According to Reuters, a team spokesperson said: “We have kept our training programme. No player in the squad has come from DR Congo. The friendly matches are still scheduled. The only modification to the programme has been the cancellation of the Kinshasa leg.”

    The federation argues that the entire squad and coaching staff are Europe-based, reducing the risk of exposure.

    WHO raises Ebola risk level

    The diplomatic tension intensified after the World Health Organization raised the outbreak risk level to “very high”.

    Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths have reportedly been linked to the outbreak in DR Congo, leading to increased scrutiny from global health authorities.

    DR Congo are scheduled to open their World Cup campaign against Portugal on June 17 in Houston before facing Colombia and Uzbekistan in the group stage.

    Any decision by US authorities to block the team’s entry could create major disruption for the tournament just weeks before kickoff.

    Previous Article
    When D’s mother drops a bomb on him about his father!
    Next Article
    Sadiq Umar in action as Valencia down Barcelona 3-1 in La Liga finale

    Related Diaspora Updates:

    Are you sure? You want to delete this comment..! Remove Cancel

    Comments (0)

      Leave a comment